Are you a writer with social media savvy, a sense of humor and a passion for data analytics?
Jul 30, 2021 9 AM
Tell me more, metrics…Photo: Cookie the Pom
Cincinnati CityBeat is a Euclid Media Group company. EMG is a progressive media, marketing and events company that connects local businesses with influential, culturally engaged audiences through world-class events, marketing services and fiercely independent editorial content.
We grow businesses by building meaningful relationships between them and our community, while creating unique and memorable experiences in the cities we serve.
At EMG, our team is made of people who embody our core values: passion; adaptability; a tenacious work ethic; humor; and progressiveness.
Does this sound like you?
Well, we’re hiring.
Digital Content Editor
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Job Type: Full-Time
CityBeat’s Digital Content Editor will work under the Editor in Chief and Managing Editor to develop, define, and maintain the publication’s digital presence, quality and consistency across a variety of platforms, including blogs, feature stories, slideshows, event listings, social media posts, e-newsletters, etc., with special attention given to driving increased traffic and brand visibility.
Responsibilities will include editing, creating content, analyzing data and responding appropriately, overseeing publication’s social media presence. This role will oversee a small but diverse team of staff, interns and freelance contributors. A successful Digital Content Editor will combine their tech savvy with a passion to create and share meaningful material.
RESPONSIBILITIES — This role entails the following expectations, but is not limited to:
- Contributing original content to CityBeat’s blogs and slideshows. It is expected that a total of 10-15 blogs are posted a day between editorial staff members, and 2-3 editorial galleries created a week.
- Managing and coordinating with staff and freelance contributors to provide daily supply of material to keep website and social media presence fresh, increase return traffic, and convey true voice and tone of publication.
- Keep CityBeat’s digital numbers above the EMG minimum, and aim for weekly bonuses.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales and Promotions staff to coordinate the posting of their digital content with editorial content.
- Follow EMG’s best digital practices, and participate in weekly digital calls.
- Work with interns on a daily basis to ensure they’re contributing to the site in a meaningful and efficient way.
- Ensure staff and freelance contributors meet deadlines and maintain focus of assignments.
- Check content for accuracy, SEO packaging and ensure they’re in compliance with copyright and privacy regulations.
- Address any web, social media and blogging issues experienced by staff in a timely fashion.
- Modify content so that it is easy to view on mobile or tablet screens.
- Add print stories to website on as-needed basis.
- Working with Art Director, Editor in Chief and Managing Editor to ensure adequate and appropriate graphics/visual representation available for stories on the web.
- Brainstorm and solicit feedback from other departments/staff regarding topics and generating discussions for web content.
- Weekly and daily planning with editorial staff and other EMG markets to locate galleries and blogs and online-only content that enhances what has been planned for an issue.
- Seasonality appropriate content for holidays, seasons, special issues, etc.
- Planning of daily and weekly blogs that can help create patterns that draw people to the site on a regular basis (weekend events, adoptable pet round-ups, etc).
- Plan for achieving performance objectives.
- Addressing issues with CMS/blogging system as needed.
- How to best present information in a web-friendly format.
- Traffic generation in slow times of week/year.
- Analyzing data to make best decisions.
- Recruiting and developing staff and interns.
- High attention to detail in a fast-paced environment/
SKILLS — The skills/behaviors required to be successful in this role are:
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with an understanding of the special requirements of writing for the web, such as the use of keywords, hyperlinks, navigation and the importance of brevity.
- Superior spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively and collaboratively with direct reports, contributors, other internal departments and the public responding to posts.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong online traffic analytical skills enabling adjustment of content production based on site performance and traffic patterns.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Moderate proficiency with MS Office suite.
- Moderate proficiency with InDesign and Photoshop.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of basic HTML and CSS.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of content management systems, such as Foundation and WordPress.
- Strong understanding of industry best practices.
- Social media savvy and ability to effectively plan, share and distribute content through social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit).
- Proven success generating increased traffic in social media.
- Ability to recruit, manage and develop staff and freelance digital contributors.
- Thorough knowledge of the geographic area’s alternative social scenes and media outlets (or an enthusiasm to learn more)/
- Passion for new technology.
- Ability to work remotely if needed.
- Adobe Creative Suite skills a major plus.
- Working knowledge of utilizing Google Docs and Analytics.
- Troubleshoot CMS/blogging system issues.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Basic understanding of marketing and journalism fundamentals.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English or Mass Communications.
- Social Media utilization of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Apple News and other media websites.
- 2+ years online production experience at a media company.
- 2-5 years full-time editorial experience.
- 2 years+ experience managing media or communications website and/or social media accounts.
- Background in journalism and/or communications.
- Previous work in a marketing or publishing.
- Social Media Manager experience.
- Professional experience blogging.
- Base salary + Bonus (where applicable/achieved)
- Paid Vacation/PTO
If you’re interested, please send an emailed cover letter, resume and examples of your experience to email@example.com.