MARKETING YOURSELF IS hard work. You have to show off how awesome you are AND stay on top of what’s trending, what works, and what doesn’t. If you know what worked for you in 2021, you’re off to a good start. With the new year fast approaching, it’s time to think about new trends. Here’s what all ECPs should have their sights on in 2022.
1. Brand Persona. When you have a strong sense of who you and your business are, you can portray it better to patients in your marketing. Write it out if it gives you a better idea. What makes you different? Brands that tell a great story will win more business in 2022.
2. Content. Content is royalty; make sure you’re using clear, consistent messaging. Content can make YOU show up when patients are searching for eyecare services. Do an audit that shows what keywords you are currently ranking for and where you don’t even show up. Then, build a strategy of adding or updating content and sharing on social media. But consider your audience — write content that is attracting the patients you want.
3. Authenticity. It’s great if you’ve crafted content to reflect who you are as a business, but it’s another thing if it seems… forced. Just be you!
4. TikTok. The truth is so many young people are watching TikTok videos daily. And eyes are cool! Come up with fun ways to highlight yourself in a short video clip.
5. Social Media. There are two key channels: Facebook and Instagram. If someone searches your practice on FB, what will they find? Is your contact information updated? Do they find a recent posting? Patients notice dormancy. Post with an objective in mind. Bonus: Build social media ads targeting your location and audience.
6. Your Website. 95% of your patients will land on your website. It is often the first impression you provide. It needs to be fast, easy to navigate, modern, engaging and have the correct information.
7. SEO. Search engine optimization (SEO) is so important. There’s a science to making your website perform. Content is a factor but also how it’s built, coded, tagged images, meta tags, backlinks and much more. There are helpful tools online; go to semrush.com and put your site through the domain audit. It will show you which keywords you are ranking for on the first page of Google.
8. Accessibility. Many websites have increased accessibility requirements to make it easier to navigate for people who have extra needs (like the visually impaired). How accessible is your site? You could be losing out. Also be aware there could be fines in the future if it’s not built to be accessible by all.
9. Inclusivity & Diversity. 2021 was a year of awareness; 2022 is the year we show we heard the changes that are needed. That includes marketing. Inclusive language helps make people feel, well, included. Review your website and social media and watch out for image choices and gender-specific language.
10. Appointments. As a result of the pandemic, most practices moved to booking appointments for everything and want to keep that going forward. It not only resulted in better time management but increased sales. Use this opportunity to drive the “personal eyewear styling appointment” and drive bigger sales.